What We Teach
The main focus of Emerald City School curricular programs is to lead our students toward academic mastery. Students with learning differences benefit from our approach because class lessons are planned to meet individual student needs and interests. We also offer comprehensive academic interventions in math and reading, which are designed to increase skill mastery in those areas and bring students to their appropriate grade level.
In addition to our academics, Emerald City School also emphasizes the value of community engagement and the cultivation of a growth mindset in our students. Teachers encourage students to advocate for their own needs within the classroom, which develops the confidence students require when applying their self-advocacy skills in other areas of life. We highlight the importance of teamwork and perseverance both through everyday classroom assignments and with the community projects our students take on throughout the year.
While other programs may target academic deficiencies, we believe in the power of harnessing student strengths. Emerald City School programs provide our students with the skills they need to succeed and empower them to use their skills to create positive change within themselves and within our larger community.
Our interventions include explicit instruction and learning strategy models. We draw from the latest research, which has identified other successful instructional strategies such as:
- Small interactive groups
- Controlling task difficulty
- Repetition and practice
- Directed questioning and responding
- Strategy cueing
- Teaching for generalization
- Monitoring student learning
Learning should be engaging and experiential. We take pride in exposing our students to the many and varied experiential learning opportunities that await them outside of the traditional classroom walls. Fine arts opportunities and educational resources are outside our doors in the heart of Seattle and its diverse neighborhoods. These resources complement the well-rounded educational experience that students receive while attending Emerald City School.
- Robotics is a parent-led club for students interested in learning about robots. Students experiment with Lego robotics kits and watch the 'bots do their bidding.
- Movement/Dance/Cheer is a club for students who want to spin, rally, and arabesque through inspiring performances. With Ms. Nichols, students in Movement learn to use their bodies in rewarding and challenging new ways.
- Dungeons and Dragons is a club for students who want to build a fantastic story together. With Dungeon Master Ms. Rachel, students roll dice to battle monsters, find treasure, and decide the fate of their character.
- Arts and Crafts is a club for students who want to create cool things and learn new skills. Students snip, stitch, and glue their pieces with the guidance of Ms. Ellie.